Friday, April 11, 2008

Top Ten Worst Reasons to Fast

You're probably familiar, at least in passing, with the religious discipline of fasting--going without food for a set period of time to achieve a spiritual focus. Every time I've heard fasting preached about at church, they always emphasize the importance of your motivation. Thus, I present to you the Top Ten Worst Reasons to Fast: in reverse order, Letterman-style.

10. Good way to lose a few pounds
9. All the spiritual kids are doing it
8. Ostensibly as part of training for a marathon...but really just so you can make bad puns about fasting to become faster
7. "I don't like food anymore!" (obligatory Strong Sad reference)
6. Excuse to try out alternative systems of nourishment, like photosynthesis
5. Score some major brownie points with the Big Man
4. Just for the hell of it
3. Save on grocery bills
2. Hoping to get a mystical vision by starving yourself

And the number-one, rock-bottom worst reason to fast:

1. It's less effort than eating food

1 comment: